This website uses cookies to function correctly.
You may delete cookies at any time but doing so may result in some parts of the site not working correctly.



You may have heard in the news over recent months of the increasing burden General Practice across the country is under. Greater complexity of patient needs, real term funding cuts and recruitment difficulties have meant that patients are having to wait longer to see their GP.

NHS Newcastle Gateshead Clinical Commissioning Group are exploring whether we can use technology to improve patient access to GP practices whilst at the same time reducing the demands on practices.  Not all of these methods may be currently available, but it will help us to decide where we should concentrate our developments.

We would be grateful if you would spend a couple of minutes answering these questions.  This survey is being conducted anonymously any data collected will only be used for the purpose of this research.

NHS Mental Health Care for Veterans

Mental illness is common and can affect anyone (including serving and ex-members of the Armed Forces and their families). Whilst some people cope by getting support from their family and friends, or by getting help with other issues in their lives, others need clinical care and treatment, which could be from the NHS, support groups or charities.

Accessing NHS mental health care for veterans

Access to both of these services is through the TILS. You can contact the service direct (see below) or ask your GP or a military charity to refer you.

North of England services: call 0303 123 1145 or email

Midlands or East of England services: call 0300 323 0137 or email

London or South East of England services: call 020 3317 6818 or email

South West of England services: call 0300 365 0300 or email

To access these services you must:

• be a resident in England and have served in the UK Armed Forces for a full day

• be registered with a GP practice in England or be willing and eligible to register with a GP

• provide your military service number or another form of eligibility.

Both services work with a range of local organisations, including the wider NHS, charities, housing, employment agencies and social services, to ensure the appropriate support is in place for you and your family.

If you experience a mental health crisis (when you no longer feel able to cope or are not in control of your situation) before being assessed by the TILS and you are not under the care of a mental health team, you can get help by dialling 111, booking an emergency GP appointment, visiting A&E or calling 999. If you are still serving, you can also call the Military Mental Health Helpline on 0800 323 4444.

It is important to register with an NHS GP and tell them that you have served in the Armed Forces so, where appropriate, you can access these and other dedicated services for veterans.

For more

information, visit the NHS website at  and search for veteran.

For further mental health information, please click here.

Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website